minutes—that’s what happened to a mock dorm room Wednesday—all in the name of
keeping William Woods University students safe.
conducted the mock burn of a typical residence hall room at the fire station
just off campus. Todd Grey, firefighter, shared useful facts, statistics,
safety precautions and procedures with William Woods students before the room
event for several days, knowing how important it would be to their safety on
forward to the mock burn because, “I think this is an incredibly informative
reinforced the idea behind the event, stating, “This teaches us good fire
safety and shows us why it is so important to follow fire safety procedures.”
fire is really capable of doing because we want [students] to be safe,” said Tyler
Ginnever, FFD firefighter. “In a way it helps both of us (firefighters and
students) because it reminds us about important safety precautions. We want to
get back to our families safely just like you students do.”
constructed a mock dorm room, which included everything from typical dorm room
furniture to posters, articles of clothing and notebooks.
a trashcan, the room was completely engulfed in flames within two minutes.
After about three minutes, firefighters extinguished the fire.
few minutes to completely burn a room,” said Rachel Sennett, a senior.
seeing the potential risk of breaking fire safety procedure evoked some
different emotions from students.
the event, “I think it is an important event to see and it puts things in
lot from the event, “After seeing how fast the room burned down, I’m going to
be very cautious about not having any fire hazards in my room.”
William Woods and the FFD have teamed up on. The first event was in 2008.